Re: varchar for loops possible?

От Jasen Betts
Тема Re: varchar for loops possible?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2012-05-18, J.V. <jvsrvcs@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a table with a varchar column.
>
> I want to select the distinct values from this column and loop through
> them (using as a variable) in a raise notice statement and also in an
> update statement.
>
> I have not been able to do this trying over 100 things in the last two
> hours.  I could not find an example on google.
>
>      for tmp_var in select distinct(value) from mytable where
> value2='literal'
>      loop
>          raise notice 'I want to print a message here - the tmp_var is
> [' || tmp_var || ']';

raise notice does not take a string argument,
it takes a string-literal-like argument.
you can't use a string expression as the argument to raise notice.

do it like this:

raise notice 'the tmp_var is [%]', tmp_var;

I think this restriction is because the psql compiler needs to parse
the string at compile time to produce the raise-notice bytecode,

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural