Libpq question

От John Townsend
Тема Libpq question
Дата
Re: Libpq question  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
It appears that some developers (Davart) are by-passing the standard
client library, “libpq.dll”, and directly accessing the server using
Delphi or FPC. I am not sure of the advantage here. All libpq.dll
functions can be called from Delphi or FPC by simply using the following
example pascal coding:
const

LIBPQ_PATH = 'C:\PG\libpq.dll'; // or wherever

type

PGconn = Pointer;
PPGresult = Pointer;

var
Conn: PGconn;
ResultSet: PPGresult;

function PQconnectdbParams(keywords, values: PChar; expand_dbname:
integer): PGconn; cdecl;

external LIBPQ_PATH name 'PQconnectdbParams';

function PQconnectdb(conninfo: PChar): PGConn; cdecl;

external LIBPQ_PATH name 'PQconnectdb';

function PQsetdbLogin(Host, Port, Options, Tty, Db, User, Passwd:
PChar): PGconn; cdecl;

external LIBPQ_PATH name 'PQsetdbLogin';

There are translation programs like “h2pas” that will do most of the
work for you, seeing that you may have to translate 160+ c functions.
Nonetheless, it shouldn’t take long, and one would have a nice module,
(unit) to use for building a PostgreSQL database application using
Delphi or FPC. Using the module one could build components as many have
done.

*** So...the question: Is there a good reason why you might want to NOT
use libpq.dll, and just directly access the server through direct
function calls? ***

Btw, I just compiled libpq.dll with Visual C++ 2008. The resulting
compilation (32bit) was 109 KB as opposed to 165 KB which was downloaded
(Enterprise site). I use C++ very little, so this is probably due to
compiler settings / flags, or perhaps just the use of just another compiler.

Thanks

John Townsend