Re: Moving postgres 9.4 databases to new vm hosted datacenter

От Ron
Тема Re: Moving postgres 9.4 databases to new vm hosted datacenter
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 2/21/19 6:42 AM, Mark Steben wrote:
> Good morning,
> We are presently planning to move our 9.4 production databases from our
> datacenter in Norfolk where they have been running on solid state hardware
> to a datacenter run by Expedient where they will run on pre-defined vms.
> Our manager of development has expressed concern that there may be a
> decline in performance - we had a similar decline several years ago when
> we attempted to switch to vms.
> My question is: is there a facility we can install on the vm where we can
> simulate what we run on production now to approximate the load that we
> currently run? Perhaps a read / replay of the postgres logs?

WAL replay is single-threaded, so that won't work.

A few months ago, we migrated from physical to virtual (and upgraded from
8.4 to 9.6) without any performance drop by ensuring that the underlying ESX
host wasn't over-provisioned.  Naturally, you'd also have to contract for
SSDs with Expedient.