Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text
Дата
Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text  (Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
    Jeff Davis wrote:

> I believe the patch has utility as-is, but I've been brainstorming a
> few more ideas that could build on it:
>
> * Add a per-database option to enforce only storing assigned unicode
> code points.

There's a problem in the fact that the set of assigned code points is
expanding with every Unicode release, which happens about every year.

If we had this option in Postgres 11 released in 2018 it would use
Unicode 11, and in 2023 this feature would reject thousands of code
points that have been assigned since then.

Aside from that, aborting a transaction because there's an
unassigned code point in a string feels like doing too much,
too late.
The programs that want to filter out unwanted code points
do it before they hit the database, client-side.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
https://postgresql.verite.pro/