Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2023-10-17 at 17:07 +0200, Daniel Verite wrote:
> There's a problem in the fact that the set of assigned code points is
> expanding with every Unicode release, which happens about every year.
>
> If we had this option in Postgres 11 released in 2018 it would use
> Unicode 11, and in 2023 this feature would reject thousands of code
> points that have been assigned since then.

That wouldn't be good for everyone, but might it be good for some
users?

We already expose normalization functions. If users are depending on
normalization, and they have unassigned code points in their system,
that will break when we update Unicode. By restricting themselves to
assigned code points, normalization is guaranteed to be forward-
compatible.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis