Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text

От Nico Williams
Тема Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 05:07:40PM +0200, Daniel Verite wrote:
> > * Add a per-database option to enforce only storing assigned unicode
> > code points.
>
> There's a problem in the fact that the set of assigned code points is
> expanding with every Unicode release, which happens about every year.
>
> If we had this option in Postgres 11 released in 2018 it would use
> Unicode 11, and in 2023 this feature would reject thousands of code
> points that have been assigned since then.

Yes, and that's desirable if PG were to normalize text as Jeff proposes,
since then PG wouldn't know how to normalize text containing codepoints
assigned after that.  At that point to use those codepoints you'd have
to upgrade PG -- not too unreasonable.

Nico

Сообщение: Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text
Сообщение: Re: Pre-proposal: unicode normalized text