Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/20/2016 07:59 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 3:36 AM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:25 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:>>
>>
>> So here's my theory.  The whole reason why Tomas is having difficulty
>> seeing any big effect from these patches is because he's testing on
>> x86.  When Dilip tests on x86, he doesn't see a big effect either,
>> regardless of workload.  But when Dilip tests on POWER, which I think
>> is where he's mostly been testing, he sees a huge effect, because for
>> some reason POWER has major problems with this lock that don't exist
>> on x86.
>>
>> If that's so, then we ought to be able to reproduce the big gains on
>> hydra, a community POWER server.  In fact, I think I'll go run a quick
>> test over there right now...
>
> And ... nope.  I ran a 30-minute pgbench test on unpatched master
> using unlogged tables at scale factor 300 with 64 clients and got
> these results:
>
>      14  LWLockTranche   | wal_insert
>      36  LWLockTranche   | lock_manager
>      45  LWLockTranche   | buffer_content
>     223  Lock            | tuple
>     527  LWLockNamed     | CLogControlLock
>     921  Lock            | extend
>    1195  LWLockNamed     | XidGenLock
>    1248  LWLockNamed     | ProcArrayLock
>    3349  Lock            | transactionid
>   85957  Client          | ClientRead
>  135935                  |
>
> I then started a run at 96 clients which I accidentally killed shortly
> before it was scheduled to finish, but the results are not much
> different; there is no hint of the runaway CLogControlLock contention
> that Dilip sees on power2.

What shared_buffer size were you using? I assume the data set fit into
shared buffers, right?

FWIW as I explained in the lengthy post earlier today, I can actually
reproduce the significant CLogControlLock contention (and the patches do
reduce it), even on x86_64.

For example consider these two tests:

* http://tvondra.bitbucket.org/#dilip-300-unlogged-sync
* http://tvondra.bitbucket.org/#pgbench-300-unlogged-sync-skip

However, it seems I can also reproduce fairly bad regressions, like for
example this case with data set exceeding shared_buffers:

* http://tvondra.bitbucket.org/#pgbench-3000-unlogged-sync-skip

regards