Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I then started a run at 96 clients which I accidentally killed shortly
>> before it was scheduled to finish, but the results are not much
>> different; there is no hint of the runaway CLogControlLock contention
>> that Dilip sees on power2.
>>
> What shared_buffer size were you using? I assume the data set fit into
> shared buffers, right?

8GB.

> FWIW as I explained in the lengthy post earlier today, I can actually
> reproduce the significant CLogControlLock contention (and the patches do
> reduce it), even on x86_64.

/me goes back, rereads post.  Sorry, I didn't look at this carefully
the first time.

> For example consider these two tests:
>
> * http://tvondra.bitbucket.org/#dilip-300-unlogged-sync
> * http://tvondra.bitbucket.org/#pgbench-300-unlogged-sync-skip
>
> However, it seems I can also reproduce fairly bad regressions, like for
> example this case with data set exceeding shared_buffers:
>
> * http://tvondra.bitbucket.org/#pgbench-3000-unlogged-sync-skip

I'm not sure how seriously we should take the regressions.  I mean,
what I see there is that CLogControlLock contention goes down by about
50% -- which is the point of the patch -- and WALWriteLock contention
goes up dramatically -- which sucks, but can't really be blamed on the
patch except in the indirect sense that a backend can't spend much
time waiting for A if it's already spending all of its time waiting
for B.  It would be nice to know why it happened, but we shouldn't
allow CLogControlLock to act as an admission control facility for
WALWriteLock (I think).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company