Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel

От Erick Papadakis
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel
Дата
Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel  (Frank Finner <postgresql@finner.de>)
Список pgsql-general
> Correct. Also you will find nearly no stuff about using apt-get and rpm,
> which are some of the most used package systems on Linux on postgresql.org .
> And nothing about emerge, which is central to Gentoo Linux. And no real
> documentation to ports, which is prevalent on FreeBsd.
>
> PostgreSQL.org has extensive, detailed documentation of the PostgreSQL
> database. The ways the database is used or crunched by various installation
> tools is not covered.

You are entitled to your perspectives, but for any self-respecting
software to get accepted by a decent-sized community, it is vital that
some of the main platforms are covered in the documentation in an easy
to understand manner.

I am not speaking of exotic platforms like some obscure fork of POSIX
or something. I am speaking of Cpanel/WHM with Linux (CentOS in my
case) which must be hosted on hundreds of thousands of webservers
around the world.

As such, it makes all the sense to make it a vital part of the docs,
especially if pgsql is going continue to be so lame in adcovating
itself to cpanels' makers and get itself included by default in the
WHM or Plesk interface. This ivory-tower "we don't bother because
we're so cool" spirit doesn't do anyone any good.

And no, I disagree that the pgsql documentation is great. It is
extensive, sure, but is way too geekily presented. On Oracle or MySQL
online docs I can see a lot more of necessary information in a given
browser window space than on pgsql website. And they clearly tell me
through the navigation where I am, instead of useless crumbs on pgsql
site such as "Fast Backward" and "Fast Forward"--these dont tell me
anything--it would be much more useful to show me which section of the
humongous and geeky manual I am currently in. The PHP manual is a
fantastical layout to follow.

My 0.02. Thanks anyway.