Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell

От Peter Wilson
Тема Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Are you just asking random questions? What do you actually want to do? You've
asked how to access Postres from a shell - now you're using 'C'. Are you going
to work your way through Java, Perl and a host of others.

All of this information is *very* clearly available in the manual at:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/index.html

It is an *excellent* manual. Apart from how to access Postgres in a multitude of
ways it includes a good reference on SQL itself.

Go have a read.

Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> What if I don't have a shell script and instead of that I have a C code
> and need to connect to the postgres database.
> How do i accomplish this? do i still need to call this psql clinet
> interface or there is some other way to do it..
>
> ~Jas
>
> On 6/29/06, *Scott Marlowe* <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com
> <mailto:smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 13:29, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
>     > this is what i've included in my shell script
>     >
>     > query="select * from films";
>     > a=`echo $query|psql -tq postgres`;
>     >
>     >
>     > it gives an error:
>     > role root doesn't exist.
>     >
>     > where do i have to specify the role?
>
>     OK, unless this script NEEDS to be run as root, it's a good idea to run
>     it as an unprivaledged account.  Create a new one if you can.  If it
>     has
>     to be run as root, so be it.
>
>     You use -U, so it'd look like:
>
>     a=`echo $query|psql -tqU myname postgres`;
>
>     then you need a password in ~/.pgpass following the format I posted in
>     the previous message, unless your server is running in trust mode, in
>     which case you don't need to worry about the .pgpass file.
>
>     >
>     > On 6/29/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com
>     <mailto:smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>> wrote:
>     >         On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 11:29, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
>     >         > isn't my normal bash script different from psql.
>     >         > In a bash script how wud u specify the db parameters
>     >
>     >         Look at how I'm doing it here:
>     >
>     >         >         > > query="select * from sometable";
>     >         >         > > a=`echo $query|psql -tq dbname`;
>     >
>     >         Note that I'm calling psql from within a bash script. So, the
>     >         connection
>     >         params are the same as for psql, cause that's what I'm using.
>     >

Сообщение: Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell
Сообщение: Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell