Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell

От Jasbinder Bali
Тема Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell
Дата
Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell
Список pgsql-general
What if I don't have a shell script and instead of that I have a C code and need to connect to the postgres database.
How do i accomplish this? do i still need to call this psql clinet interface or there is some other way to do it..

~Jas

On 6/29/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 13:29, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> this is what i've included in my shell script
>
> query="select * from films";
> a=`echo $query|psql -tq postgres`;
>

> it gives an error:
> role root doesn't exist.
>
> where do i have to specify the role?

OK, unless this script NEEDS to be run as root, it's a good idea to run
it as an unprivaledged account.  Create a new one if you can.  If it has
to be run as root, so be it.

You use -U, so it'd look like:

a=`echo $query|psql -tqU myname postgres`;

then you need a password in ~/.pgpass following the format I posted in
the previous message, unless your server is running in trust mode, in
which case you don't need to worry about the .pgpass file.

> On 6/29/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 11:29, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
>         > isn't my normal bash script different from psql.
>         > In a bash script how wud u specify the db parameters
>
>         Look at how I'm doing it here:
>
>         >         > > query="select * from sometable";
>         >         > > a=`echo $query|psql -tq dbname`;
>
>         Note that I'm calling psql from within a bash script. So, the
>         connection
>         params are the same as for psql, cause that's what I'm using.

Сообщение: Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell
Сообщение: Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell