Re: Limit on number of databases in a Cluster ?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Limit on number of databases in a Cluster ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Josh Harrison <joshques@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Josh Harrison <joshques@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > 1. Is there a limit on the number of databases that can be in a single
>> > postgres cluster?
>>
>> No.  I'm sure there's a practical limit into the thousands where
>> things start to get slower.
>>
>> > 2. Is there any performance impacts associated with having too many
>> > databases in a cluster?
>>
>> Define too many.  I've run a couple hundred before without it being a
>> problem.
>>
>> > 3. Is there a good magical number for this limit ?
>>
>> Only the one that your testing tells you there is.  Got a rough guess
>> of how many you want to run?  How busy they'll be?  that kind of
>> thing.
>
> About 10-15 ?

That's hardly any really.  At that point it's more about whether or
not your server can support all the users / access going on at once.
15 or 1 db in the cluster, if you've got 200 users hitting it hard
you'll need a big server.  OTOH, 100 dbs in a cluster with a dozen or
fewer average users is just fine.