Re: starting postgres on red hat

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: starting postgres on red hat
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM, John <lists@johndubchak.com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> Oh yeah, please note that the proper way to start and stop services on
>> RH oses is via the service command:
>>
>> service postgresql start
>> service postgresql initdb
>>
>> etc..
>
> Scott,
>
> How does the above compare with using postmaster to start Postgres?
>
> I tried in the past to use the "service postgresql start" command, but
> couldn't connect from a java application and have gotten in the habit of
> using a script that uses postmaster to append a "-i" to the command line to
> allow TCP/IP connections.

Yeah, you can't stop / stop services as anything but root on centos.
so unless you were running the receiving end to the java app as root,
it wouldn't be able to restart pgsql.

On ubuntu the postgres account can restart with
/etc/init.d/postgresql, nice feature.

> Can that be configured in postgresql.conf?

Yes, it's the line where you tell it what host adapters to use, or on
older pgsql's also the tcp_connection parameter (I think I spelt it
right, been a while)