starting postgres on red hat

От Marc Fromm
Тема starting postgres on red hat
Дата
Re: starting postgres on red hat  (Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>)
Список pgsql-admin
I installed Red Hat 5.2 EL. During the install I select postgresql and this versoin was installed:
postgresql-8.1.11-1.el5_1.1.

1. I started postgresql as follows:
initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

2. I started the database server as follows:
/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -l logfile start

3. I started the postmaster as follows:
service postgresql start

When I check that it is all running with ps command I get:
324 pts/1    S      0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

When I did the same setps in fedora 8  the postmaster was started on a port
1703 ?        S      0:01 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

Why is there no -p 5432 on the red hat box? I assume the port is needed. What do I need to do to have the postmaster
runningon port 5432 like on the fedora box?

Thanks

Marc