Re: starting postgres on red hat

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: starting postgres on red hat
Дата
Re: starting postgres on red hat
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Marc Fromm <Marc.Fromm@wwu.edu> wrote:

> I installed Red Hat 5.2 EL. During the install I select postgresql and this versoin was installed:
postgresql-8.1.11-1.el5_1.1.

> 1. I started postgresql as follows:
> initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

There's an initidb function built into the /etc/init.d/postgresql
script you can use:

sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql initdb

both work similarly.

> 2. I started the database server as follows:
> /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -l logfile start
>
> 3. I started the postmaster as follows:
> service postgresql start

These two steps do the same thing.  the db server was already started
in step2.   The preferred way is how you did it in step 3.

> When I check that it is all running with ps command I get:
> 324 pts/1    S      0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> When I did the same setps in fedora 8  the postmaster was started on a port
> 1703 ?        S      0:01 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> Why is there no -p 5432 on the red hat box? I assume the port is needed. What do I need to do to have the postmaster
runningon port 5432 like on the fedora box?

Because pgsql is reading it from the postgresql.conf file.

Stick to the /etc/init.d/postgresql way of starting and stopping.

To set pgsql to start automatically on bootup, use chkconfig:

chkconfig postgresql on
chkconfig --list postgresql

От: Marc Fromm
Сообщение: starting postgres on red hat
От: "Scott Marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: starting postgres on red hat