Re: Backup causing poor performance - suggestions

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Backup causing poor performance - suggestions
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2008, Campbell, Lance wrote:
>

> > We currently backup all of our database tables per schema using pg_dump
> > every half hour.  We have been noticing that the database performance
> > has been very poor during the backup process.  How can I improve the
> > performance?
> >

>  Uh, don't do that?  pg_dump works OK doing periodic backups during
> relatively calm periods, it's not really appropriate to run all the time
> like that.

Wow, my reading comprehension must be dropping.  I totally missed the
every half hour bit and read it as every day.  If you're backing up a
live database every hour, then yes, it's a very good idea to switch to
a hot or cold standby method with PITR