RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers (was: Performance increase with elevator=deadline)

От Craig James
Тема RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers (was: Performance increase with elevator=deadline)
Дата
Re: RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers (was: Performance increase with elevator=deadline)  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Re: RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers (was: Performance increase with elevator=deadline)  (Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
I had the opportunity to do more testing on another new server to see whether the kernel's I/O scheduling makes any
difference. Conclusion: On a battery-backed RAID 10 system, the kernel's I/O scheduling algorithm has no effect.  This
makessense, since a battery-backed cache will supercede any I/O rescheduling that the kernel tries to do.

Hardware:
 Dell 2950
 8 CPU (Intel 2GHz Xeon)
 8 GB memory
 Dell Perc 6i with battery-backed cache
 RAID 10 of 8x 146GB SAS 10K 2.5" disks

Software:
 Linux 2.6.24, 64-bit
    XFS file system
 Postgres 8.3.0
    max_connections = 1000
    shared_buffers = 2000MB
    work_mem = 256MB
    max_fsm_pages = 1000000
    max_fsm_relations = 5000
    synchronous_commit = off
    wal_buffers = 256kB
    checkpoint_segments = 30
    effective_cache_size = 4GB

Each test was run 5 times:
  drop database test
  create database test
  pgbench -i -s 20 -U test
  pgbench -c 10 -t 50000 -v -U test

The I/O scheduler was changed on-the-fly using (for example) "echo cfq >/sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler".

Autovacuum was turned off during the test.

Here are the results.  The numbers are those reported as "tps = xxxx (including connections establishing)" (which were
almostidentical to the "excluding..." tps number).

I/O Sched     AVG     Test1  Test2  Test3  Test4  Test5
cfq           3355     3646   3207   3132   3204   3584
noop          3163     2901   3190   3293   3124   3308
deadline      3547     3923   3722   3351   3484   3254
anticipatory  3384     3453   3916   2944   3451   3156

As you can see, the averages are very close -- closer than the "noise" between runs.  As far as I can tell, there is no
significantadvantage, or even any significant difference, between the various I/O scheduler algorithms.

(It also reinforces what the pgbench man page says: Short runs aren't useful.  Even these two-minute runs have a lot of
variability. Before I turned off AutoVacuum, the variability was more like 50% between runs.)

Craig