Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 8/21/07, Medi Montaseri <montaseri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have finally convinced my manager to "consider" the idea of migrating from
> 7.2 to 8.2. Obviously he needs an ROI (Return Of Investment) analysis (in a
> technical sense).
>
> So, I am wondering if anyone has worked on a similar project where you had
> to go thru the release notes and bug fixes to compile such a motivational
> speech and willing to share.

This one's really pretty simple.

1: 7.2 is no longer supported by the community.  any issues, you're
pretty much on your own.
2: 7.2 has a problem with transaction ID wraparound that cannot be
fixed.  You have to dump and reload your data every so often or you
will lose data
3: I believe, but I'm not entirely sure, that there are other known
breakages in 7.2 that will eat your data eventually.  Scour the list
for references to such things by Tom Lane.