Обсуждение: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

От
"Medi Montaseri"
Дата:
Hi,

I have finally convinced my manager to "consider" the idea of migrating from 7.2 to 8.2. Obviously he needs an ROI (Return Of Investment) analysis (in a technical sense).

So, I am wondering if anyone has worked on a similar project where you had to go thru the release notes and bug fixes to compile such a motivational speech and willing to share.

Otherwise, as many links you can provide would be nice.

Cheers
Medi

Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Medi Montaseri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have finally convinced my manager to "consider" the idea of migrating from
> 7.2 to 8.2. Obviously he needs an ROI (Return Of Investment) analysis (in a
> technical sense).
>
> So, I am wondering if anyone has worked on a similar project where you had
> to go thru the release notes and bug fixes to compile such a motivational
> speech and willing to share.
>
> Otherwise, as many links you can provide would be nice.

Wow...

Does your manager still run Windows 98?

Not to be sarcastic but that is essentially what the argument boils down to.

1. 7.2 is *not* supported
2. 7.2 will not receive any backpatches
  * There are data loss and security bugs that have not been back patched
3. If you post here with a question about 7.2, the first thing you will
get back is, "upgrade".
4. 8.2 is much faster (not like 10%, like 100%)

Now what problems are you going to run into?

Several datatypes in 7.2 are allowed to be '', in 8.x they are not.
Specifically number based types.

You may have to turn "on" add_missing_from_clause

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Cheers
> Medi

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 8/21/07, Medi Montaseri <montaseri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have finally convinced my manager to "consider" the idea of migrating from
> 7.2 to 8.2. Obviously he needs an ROI (Return Of Investment) analysis (in a
> technical sense).
>
> So, I am wondering if anyone has worked on a similar project where you had
> to go thru the release notes and bug fixes to compile such a motivational
> speech and willing to share.

This one's really pretty simple.

1: 7.2 is no longer supported by the community.  any issues, you're
pretty much on your own.
2: 7.2 has a problem with transaction ID wraparound that cannot be
fixed.  You have to dump and reload your data every so often or you
will lose data
3: I believe, but I'm not entirely sure, that there are other known
breakages in 7.2 that will eat your data eventually.  Scour the list
for references to such things by Tom Lane.

Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

От
"Medi Montaseri"
Дата:
What can I say....at least he is willing to listen now...thanks guys...
This is an excellent start...

Cheers everyone
Medi

On 8/21/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

Medi Montaseri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have finally convinced my manager to "consider" the idea of migrating from
> 7.2 to 8.2. Obviously he needs an ROI (Return Of Investment) analysis (in a
> technical sense).
>
> So, I am wondering if anyone has worked on a similar project where you had
> to go thru the release notes and bug fixes to compile such a motivational
> speech and willing to share.
>
> Otherwise, as many links you can provide would be nice.

Wow...

Does your manager still run Windows 98?

Not to be sarcastic but that is essentially what the argument boils down to.

1. 7.2 is *not* supported
2. 7.2 will not receive any backpatches
  * There are data loss and security bugs that have not been back patched
3. If you post here with a question about 7.2, the first thing you will
get back is, "upgrade".
4. 8.2 is much faster (not like 10%, like 100%)

Now what problems are you going to run into?

Several datatypes in 7.2 are allowed to be '', in 8.x they are not.
Specifically number based types.

You may have to turn "on" add_missing_from_clause

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Cheers
> Medi

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564   24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/
                        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
montaseri@gmail.com ("Medi Montaseri") writes:
> I have finally convinced my manager to "consider" the idea of
> migrating from 7.2 to 8.2. Obviously he needs an ROI (Return Of
> Investment) analysis (in a technical sense).  So, I am wondering if
> anyone has worked on a similar project where you had to go thru the
> release notes and bug fixes to compile such a motivational speech
> and willing to share.  Otherwise, as many links you can provide
> would be nice.

You can simply look at the release notes for 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, and
8.2.

You can find them here:
  <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release.html>

More specifically, you can find them at these URLs.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-7-3.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-7-4.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-8-0.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-8-1.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-8-2.html

Print off the contents of those five URLs, and you'll find somewhere
between 40 and 50 pages worth of _brief listings_ of bug fixes and
enhancements.  Drop that pile of paper on his foot and ask if he
thinks it seems heavy enough to seem significant.

Add to that the other folks' arguments:

 - There be "database eating bugs" there that be fixed in later
   releases.
 - Nobody is interested in supporting problems you have with such an
   ancient version.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/internet.html

Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

От
"Medi Montaseri"
Дата:
Thanks Chris,

I was actually just doing that and going down the list, picking fixes and enhancements that are relevant to our product....by the time I got to 7.3...I came almost the same conclusion that I should just print (all of) them and drop them on his desk..:-)

This is good, I thank everyone.

Medi