Re: Upgrading using pg_dumpall

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Upgrading using pg_dumpall
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/04/2016 07:08 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2016, Charles Clavadetscher wrote:
>
>> Are you able to connect to the new instance with any user at all, e.g.
>> with psql? If so you can use the command \du to list all users.
>
> Charles,
>
>   No. The postmaster is not running; trying to start it requires a password
> which is also rejected.

But the message you sent me offlist showed the 9.5 instance running.

How are you starting the instance?
Are you sure that the password being asked for is not for the OS user
you are using to run whatever start script you are using?

>   Since I have the pg_dumpall data in a large .sql file I think the best
> solution is for me to remove the 9.5.4 package completely, re-install from
> the package tarball, run initdb, then start the postmaster and restore all
> the databases in the cluster.
>
>   I'm thinking that without paying attention when I initially ran initdb I
> used a commandline found on a web site (rather than just reading the man
> page) and used the -W option which requires a password for everything. So
> starting over from scratch _should_ remove all issues and successfully end
> this thread.

I have never used it, but I am pretty sure that is not what -W means. It
looks to me that it asks you to create a password at init for the
database superuser(in this case postgres) and only that user when that
user tries  to use log into a database after the cluster is started.

Do you remember what password you specified?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com