Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 13/1/22 4:28 μ.μ., MichaelDBA wrote:
Hi Michael, thank you
> As an ex-PB programmer, you should recompile the PowerBuilder app.  It is probably using "datawindows" to abstract
theSQL away.  This way you can catch any incompatibilities and fix the datawindows

> accordingly.  Obviously, you have to provide a different database driver as well.  What version of PB are you using?

Yes they do use datawindows, do not know version yet.
> Regards,
> Michael Vitale
>

> Achilleas Mantzios wrote on 1/13/2022 9:20 AM:
>>> I would go with option A if possible.  If you want to get an idea of how
>>> complicated a migration would be, ora2pg does have a migration cost assessment
>>> report [1].  It can even check the queries if you have the audit trail enabled
>>> on your oracle database (if that existed in that version).
>>>
>>> [1] https://ora2pg.darold.net/documentation.html#Migration-cost-assessment
>> Such great info. Thank you so much. 21 years ago we started building our system on top of PostgreSQL, there have
beenchallenges, but we never regreted our initial decision (vs mysql) not even once.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
DBA, Analyst, IT Lead

От: MichaelDBA
Сообщение: Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances
От: Thomas Kellerer
Сообщение: Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances