Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances

От MichaelDBA
Тема Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
As an ex-PB programmer, you should recompile the PowerBuilder app.  It
is probably using "datawindows" to abstract the SQL away.  This way you
can catch any incompatibilities and fix the datawindows accordingly.
Obviously, you have to provide a different database driver as well.
What version of PB are you using?

Regards,
Michael Vitale

Achilleas Mantzios wrote on 1/13/2022 9:20 AM:
> On 13/1/22 4:13 μ.μ., Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 04:06:06PM +0200, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>>> Dziekuje Alicija. The powerbuilder app is in-house developed, source is
>>> available, what could be wrong with the app? Browsing through the
>>> powerbuilder source I don't see (by eye) anything that could break
>>> something
>>> in PgSQL.
>> I would go with option A if possible.  If you want to get an idea of how
>> complicated a migration would be, ora2pg does have a migration cost
>> assessment
>> report [1].  It can even check the queries if you have the audit
>> trail enabled
>> on your oracle database (if that existed in that version).
>>
>> [1]
>> https://ora2pg.darold.net/documentation.html#Migration-cost-assessment
> Such great info. Thank you so much. 21 years ago we started building
> our system on top of PostgreSQL, there have been challenges, but we
> never regreted our initial decision (vs mysql) not even once.

Сообщение: Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances
Сообщение: Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances