Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Στις 23/10/23 20:06, ο/η Laurenz Albe έγραψε:
> On Mon, 2023-10-23 at 19:49 +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>>   But there are valid use-cases where you
>>> actually do want more columns in the child tables than the parent.
>> also data departmentalization, consolidation, multi-tenancy are fine use
>> cases (same # and types of columns), you can't have writable VIEWs with
>> UNION, for me inheritance is a fantastic feature that I use with success
>> for some very important projects.
> Yes, there are valid and interesting use cases, although you have to
> search for them.  I am sure it can make an interesting talk.

Thank you, I hope so.

In my job, family owned business,  shipping, different types of vessels,
different business for each type of vessel  both conceptually /
functionally and materially , multi-tenancy (ok the illusion of many
different systems) + the need of top view of the organization, it fitted
like a globe.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
  IT DEV - HEAD