Re: PostgreSQL License

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: PostgreSQL License
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/18/19 11:23 AM, Rob Sargent wrote:

>> On Sep 18, 2019, at 12:17 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

barcodewhile the DB was created by PostgreSQL how I can sell the Database for him, how to deliver the product to him
canI sell the package that contains web app files with PostgreSQL software and the database code?

>>> You can charge the pharmacist for your efforts: your web app (license), installing postgres and your schema
(somewhere)and the data supporting your web-app, any documentation of your web-app and schema, any maintenance and
supportyou care to specify. You can copy-right your app and schema and data.

>>> You cannot (legitimately) charge the pharmacist for any part PostgresQL.
>>
>> Why not?
>>
>> Pretty sure that is what third parties are doing with their forks of Postgres.
>>
> I see your point, but aren’t they in essence charging for their efforts in making, managing their fork.  There are
plentyof vendors, for a time I was one, who happily apply a schema to which ever database the client supplied (mssql,
ora,pg in my case).

In general that pretty much applies to a lot of software that has price.
You don't actually own the software, just a paid license to use it. I'm
not saying whether it is a good idea or not, just that it is possible.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Backup PostgreSQL from RDS straight to S3
От: Anthony DeBarros
Сообщение: Re: Backup PostgreSQL from RDS straight to S3