Re: pgbackrest: backup from standby

От David Steele
Тема Re: pgbackrest: backup from standby
Дата
Re: pgbackrest: backup from standby
Список pgsql-admin
On 8/20/18 12:12 PM, Craig James wrote:
> The pgbackrest documentation has a section on backing up from a standby,
> but I'm having trouble figuring it out. I think it's just a terminology
> problem: I can't figure out which configuration directives go on which
> server.
>
> To begin with, I already have streaming replication running:
>
> Primary server (live database): "radon"
>
>     [emolecules]
>       db-path=/var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main
>
>     [global]
>       repo-path=/pg_archive/pgbackrest
>       retention-full=10
>       backup-user=postgres
>       log-level-file=detail
>

> Hot-standby server: "standby"
>
>     [emolecules]
>       db-path=/var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main
>       recovery-option=standby_mode=on
>
>      [global]
>       backup-host=radon.emolecules.com <http://radon.emolecules.com>
>       backup-user=postgres

It's much easier just to mount the nfs volume to the standby and then
you can use the same configuration on the primary and standby, though I
can see below you have reasons not to do that.

> The standby server is on Amazon AWS, and I want to set up a backup
> Amazon S3 archive that gets its snapshot and WAL files from the standby
> in order to save bandwidth costs from the primary (don't want to copy
> the data twice).

This is not supported.  If you enable "archive_mode=always" pgBackRest
will complain because there's no way to ensure that multiple server are
not archiving, especially on S3.

> Note that the primary is also archived to a local NFS disk. I want to
> keep that going, too, but create a second archive on S3. (The reason for
> this is that we're migrating from our own hardware to AWS, and during
> the transition need both systems fully functional.)

It's possible to backup/archive to multiple repos but the configuration
is complex.  I recommend that you migrate your pgBackRest repo to S3
first.  That goes like:

1) Sync the pgbackrest repo to S3 (using s3fs)
2) Stop archiving by setting archive_command=false
3) Sync the pgbackrest repo again to catch any files that were missed
the first time.
4) Reconfigure for S3 and enable archiving.

> There are sections in the user guide on /Backup from a Standby
> <https://pgbackrest.org/user-guide.html#standby-backup>/ and on /S3
> Support <https://pgbackrest.org/user-guide.html#s3-support>/, but I
> can't sort out how to combine them. Apparently I need to define
> pg1-host/pg1-path, and pg2-host/pg2-path, then a stanza for S3. But does
> all this go in the pgbackrest.conf of the primary ("radon" in my case),
> or on the standby, or somehow split across both?

You have an asymmetrical configuration here since there is not backup
server and shown in the pgBackRest docs.  That makes configuration quite
a bit harder and make failover harder.

> Another question: if I modify these files, will the current standby
> replica keep streaming properly? That is, can I add the S3 repository to
> the current primary/standby pair without having to start over?

Yes, but multiple repositories are not natively support at this time so
it requires multiple configurations and some care.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net