Re: [HACKERS] Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl startwithout --wait

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl startwithout --wait
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/23/16 6:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> writes:
>> Is there still a use case for --no-wait in the real world?
>
> Sure.  Most system startup scripts aren't going to want to wait.
> If we take it out those people will go back to starting the postmaster
> by hand.

Presumably they could just background it... since it's not going to be
long-lived it's presumably not that big a deal. Though, seems like many
startup scripts like to make sure what they're starting is actually working.

What might be interesting is a mode that waited for everything but
recovery so at least you know the config is valid, the port is
available, etc. That would be much harder to handle externally.

</feature_creep>
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)