Re: [HACKERS] Remove lower limit on checkpoint_timeout?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Remove lower limit on checkpoint_timeout?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> writes:
> What about a ./configure option that basically removes the min/max
> limits of every setting where it makes sense?

It's pretty much never the case that anything goes; for example,
are we going to insist that the code be able to respond sanely to
negative checkpoint_timeout?  The GUC limit mechanism was really
invented to avoid having to do that, as much or more than preventing
users from picking "bad" values.

And I don't want to maintain two sets of limits, so I'm not for
some sort of "training wheels off" vs "training wheels on" GUC.

We could move towards a project policy that limits be set according
to what's sensible for the code to support rather than what seems
like useful ranges.  Again though, most of the ensuing work needs to
be documentation not code changes.