Re: [HACKERS] Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl startwithout --wait

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl startwithout --wait
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
> On 12/23/16 6:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Is there still a use case for --no-wait in the real world?
>>
>> Sure.  Most system startup scripts aren't going to want to wait.
>> If we take it out those people will go back to starting the postmaster
>> by hand.
>
> Presumably they could just background it... since it's not going to be
> long-lived it's presumably not that big a deal. Though, seems like many
> startup scripts like to make sure what they're starting is actually working.

Making --wait the default may or may not be sensible -- I'm not sure
-- but removing --no-wait is clearly a bad idea, and we shouldn't do
it.  The fact that the problems created by removing it might be
solvable doesn't mean that it's a good idea to create them in the
first place.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company