Re: PgUS 501c3 Public Charity

От Andrew Gould
Тема Re: PgUS 501c3 Public Charity
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Yeah its not general technical discussion but this little bit of news
> >> warrants more widely read attention. PgUS (http://www.postgresql.us/)
> >> received its 501c3 public charity status today. You can view the
> >> determination letter here:
> >>
> >> https://www.postgresql.us/determination_letter
> >
> > Just curious: is PostgreSQL as a project withdrawing from SPI?
>
> No. Joshua is reporting the status of PgUS which is analogous to pgEU
> in function - that is, it is primarily supporting & serving the
> regional users and user groups. The core project will remain in SPI to
> support global activities and the work of the developers/contributors
> etc.

Isn't the majority of donations going to go to PgUS and pgEU anyway?
What good will it to for SPI to attempt to support global activities
if it doesn't have any money?

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

The public charity status lets those of us who pay income taxes to the US government claim donations to PostgreSQL as deductions on our income tax statements.  It encourages donations.  It makes donations more affordable.  It does not limit where the money is used.  That's it.  That's all.

Andrew