Re: PgUS 501c3 Public Charity

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PgUS 501c3 Public Charity
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Gould escribió:

> The public charity status lets those of us who pay income taxes to the US
> government claim donations to PostgreSQL as deductions on our income tax
> statements.  It encourages donations.  It makes donations more affordable.
> It does not limit where the money is used.  That's it.  That's all.

I know that.  But both pgUS and SPI have public charity status now.  Which one
would be a prospective US donator be more willing to donate to?  Josh just
confirmed money is currently flowing to PgUS.  But PgUS charter is to help the
activities within the US; so since SPI is going to have little money shortly,
the "global" communities (meaning everything outside US and Europe) are going
to find themselves without any means to fund getting people from there to here
(Yes -- "here" to me means outside the US/EU).

For it was SPI who used to fund US speakers to travel to places like Brazil.
Do you think Brazil is in a position to get nearly as many funds as the US
community?  I know my country is likely to raise very little money (we hardly
get enough money to handle a single yearly Linux conference; and that's only
because we bunch all F/OSS stuff together.  A single project like Pg is
unlikely to fly very far.)

I'll ask PgUS later to fund my possible flight to Cuba for a Pg summer school.
Oh wait a minute ...

Hey, but I forgot -- congratulations on the 501(c)3 status!