Re: "No transaction in progress" warning

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: "No transaction in progress" warning
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Conrad Lender <crlender@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm beginning to feel incredibly dense now, but this actually brought my
original problem back. When I do specify log_filename and log_directory,
and restart Postgres, the test you suggested ('select 1/0;') shows up as
an error in the log file

/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.3-main.log.{timestamp}

When I leave both log_directory and log_filename commented out (my
original settings), then restart postgres, it creates the file

/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.3-main.log

This contains three lines about SSL certificates, but the warning from
'select 1/0' will instead be written to this file:

/var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_log/postgresql-2009-05-07_170932.log

So there are two log files :-|

How did you restart postgres?  I'm guessing that you're using a distribution provided package.  If you're using the /etc/init.d scripts from that package, it's likely that the startup script is redirecting stderr and that the system is configured to use syslog for the rest of the logging.

--Scott