Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

От William Yu
Тема Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
It's the same money if you factor in the 3ware controller. Even without
a caching controller, SCSI works good in multi-threaded IO (not
withstanding crappy shit from Dell or Compaq). You can get such cards
from LSI for $75. And of course, many server MBs come with LSI
controllers built-in. Our older 32-bit production servers all use Linux
software RAID w/ SCSI and there's no issues when multiple
users/processes hit the DB.

*Maybe* a 3ware controller w/ onboard cache + battery backup might do
much better for multi-threaded IO than just plain-jane SATA.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything online that can
confirm or deny this. Hence, the choice is spend $$$ on the 3ware
controller and hope it meets your needs -- or spend $$$ on SCSI drives
and be sure.

Now if you want to run such tests, we'd all be delighted with to see the
results so we have another option for building servers.