Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

От Alex Turner
Тема Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Дата
Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?  ("Douglas J. Trainor" <trainor@transborder.net>)
Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?  (PFC <lists@boutiquenumerique.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Well - unfortuantely software RAID isn't appropriate for everyone, and
some of us need a hardware RAID controller.  The LSI Megaraid 320-2
card is almost exactly the same price as the 3ware 9500S-12 card
(although I will conceed that a 320-2 card can handle at most 2x14
devices compare with the 12 on the 9500S).

If someone can come up with a test, I will be happy to run it and see
how it goes.  I would be _very_ interested in the results having just
spent $7k on a new DB server!!

I have also seen really bad performance out of SATA.  It was with
either an on-board controller, or a cheap RAID controller from
HighPoint.  As soon as I put in a decent controller, things went much
better.  I think it's unfair to base your opinion of SATA from a test
that had a poor controler.

I know I'm not the only one here running SATA RAID and being very
satisfied with the results.

Thanks,

Alex Turner
netEconomist