Re: PostgreSQL on Linux PC vs MacOS X

От William Yu
Тема Re: PostgreSQL on Linux PC vs MacOS X
Дата
Список pgsql-general
My guess is that you will get better performance from a similarly priced
Dual Opteron for the following reasons:

1) OS-X is not 64-bit yet, 64-bit Linux/BSD OS's are available
2) GCC is far better tuned for x86 than PowerPC/Itanium/etc
3) Postgres *seems* to prefer Opteron's ondie memory controller
architecture over shared bus -- especially in SMP configs

Is it enough of a difference? If you needed to eek out every possible %
performance because you have a critical production need, then the answer
is yes. Otherwise, it's easier to stick with the OS you know.