Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Дата
Re: Collation version tracking for macOS  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07.05.22 02:31, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> During development, I have been using the attached patch to simulate
>> libc collation versions on macOS.  It just uses the internal major OS
>> version number.  I don't know to what the extend the libc locales on
>> macOS are maintained or updated at all, so I don't know what practical
>> effect this would have.  Again, it's mainly for development.  If there
>> is interest from others, I think we could add this, maybe disabled by
>> default, or we just keep it in the mailing list archives for interested
>> parties.
> Last time I looked into this it seemed like macOS's strcoll() gave
> sensible answers in the traditional single-byte encodings, but didn't
> understand UTF-8 at all so you get C/strcmp() order.  In other words
> there was effectively nothing to version.

Someone recently told me that collations in macOS have actually changed
recently and that this is a live problem.  See explanation here:

https://github.com/PostgresApp/PostgresApp/blob/master/docs/documentation/reindex-warning.md?plain=1#L66

So I think we should reconsider this patch, even for PG15.