Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 07.05.22 02:31, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> Last time I looked into this it seemed like macOS's strcoll() gave
>> sensible answers in the traditional single-byte encodings, but didn't
>> understand UTF-8 at all so you get C/strcmp() order.  In other words
>> there was effectively nothing to version.

> Someone recently told me that collations in macOS have actually changed
> recently and that this is a live problem.  See explanation here:

> https://github.com/PostgresApp/PostgresApp/blob/master/docs/documentation/reindex-warning.md?plain=1#L66

> So I think we should reconsider this patch, even for PG15.

According to that document, they changed it in macOS 11, which came out
a year and a half ago.  Given the lack of complaints, it doesn't seem
like this is urgent enough to mandate a post-beta change that would
have lots of downside (namely, false-positive warnings for every other
macOS update).