Re: [v15 beta] pg_upgrade failed if earlier executed with -c switch

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: [v15 beta] pg_upgrade failed if earlier executed with -c switch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 3 Jun 2022, at 13:19, tushar <tushar.ahuja@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> This behavior was not there in earlier released versions, i guess.
> Is it expected behavior now onwards?

That's an unfortunate side effect which AFAICT was overlooked in the original
thread.  Having a predictable name was defined as important for CI/BF, but I
agree that the above is likely to be a common user pattern (first running -c is
exactly what I did when managing databases and upgraded them with pg_upgrade).

This might break a few automated upgrade scripts out there (but they might also
already need changes to cope with the moved file locations).

We can address this by documentation, and specifically highlight under the -c
option in the manual that the folder need to removed/renamed (and possibly to
STDOUT aswell when run with -c).