Re: PostgreSQL website translations

От Adrian Maier
Тема Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Adrian Maier a écrit :
>  > [...]
>
> > Ok:  I understand that there are no work resources for building some
>  > web application for translating the website. Some time ago i've been
>  > told that i'd have to rely on just CVS . I've accepted that and began to
>  > translate the texts.  And look what's the result: X months later when I had
>  > the translation complete I found out that in fact the framework was not
>  > ready for accepting new translations  - and all the work was in vain
>  > because when/if  the everything will be ready  i'll have to check and
>  > translate  every single page. Again.
>  >

>  Nope.
>
>  I'll have to do this also. But I won't translate everything. I'll print
>  the english webpage and the french one, read them and check for
>  differences. I agree this is a tedious process, but much less than
>  translate once again every single webpage.

Checking differences visually is what we should try to avoid  :  it's tedious,
boring, and error-prone.  Obviously, we have no automatic tools capable
to compare an English text with its French translation and find the
differences .  But we can do 'diff'  between different versions of
the English text, provided that we know which revisions to compare.

If we knew "the revision of the English page that corresponds to the
latest translation "  we could do svn diff on the English page (between
that revision and HEAD) and see the differences , so that we wouldn't
need to visually compare anything !     All we'd have to do is to
look at the diff output and jump directly to the few phrases that were
modified.

That's what I'm after :  a mechanism that can show me the specific
modifications that were made on a specific English page since the
last time *I* have  translated that particular page.

The problem is that this variable "the revision of the English page that
corresponds to the latest translation"  can be different for every page and
is stored in only one place:  the translator's memory . If the translator is
offered a way to store it somewhere (anywhere : in svn as a property ,
or as a comment,  or in a PostgreSQL database, ... ) then it would be
possible to write some scripts for making the translation work much easier.

--
Adrian Maier

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations