Re: Commit fest queue

От Tom Dunstan
Тема Re: Commit fest queue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > The typical way to solve this is to have the tracker send an automatic
>  > notification email to a list saying "Hey, there's a new ticket at ,
>  > come and check it out".
>
>  Unfortunately that is the typical way to "solve" this. And it's awful.
>  It's like the ubiquitous cryptic phone call in movies saying "can't talk
>  right now but there's something you should know. Meet me under the bridge"

Yeah, it sucks, because people won't bother looking. It fails Tom's
"sniff" test.  (Although I can attest to having submitted a previously
discussed patch to -patches and received *zero* feedback, even
something like "we're too busy getting 8.2 out, come back later").

What's wrong with a patch submitter submitting a patch to a tracker,
but then emailing the list for actual discussion? "Hi there, I just
upload patch #12345 which implements TODO item n, can people please
have a look? I've done x, y and z, not sure about p and q". Then
discussion still happens on-list which is a much better discussion
medium, and the patch has a proper status page which the author can
keep up to date with the latest version etc etc.

If we feel the need to link patch status pages to the email archive,
there's no harm in asking that the original email contain the bug
number in the subject or something like that. That's going towards a
more structured approach than a wiki, but I don't personally see that
as a bad thing.

Cheers

Tom