Re: Barman disaster recovery solution

От Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Тема Re: Barman disaster recovery solution
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Em 27/02/2019 09:31, Achilleas Mantzios escreveu:
> On 27/2/19 1:58 μ.μ., richter@simkorp.com.br wrote:
>> Just to notice, I d o use backup from standby and WAL archive from
>> standby. It is possible. But you have to configure standby with
>> option of wal archive "always".
>
> I guess there are issues with it. If this was so easy then pgbarman
> and pgbackrest would support it out of the box.

Well,

This setup it is working really well for past two years; prior to that,
we used backup from primary server.

We have about 50 databases, half terabyte in total, primary and standby
separated geographically.

We had to write special app to monitor if standby is behind primary (it
compares the transaction id between primary and standby).

For eight years, we had no single failure from PgSQL databases (using
since 9.0 and today on 9.6), replication is for "just in case" data
center unavailability, and backup is for disaster recovery (in case two
data centers in different states from different vendors get out of work
at same time).

But we give no chance to bad luck: we monitor replication status every 2
minutes, we make full backup every 2 days with incremental backup in
between, and test all backups on a recover server every day. As pointed,
we have no single database failure that required to use the replication
server or the backup server, but we will not lower the attention.

Regards,

Edson