Re: valgrind on initdb

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: valgrind on initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 11/7/18 2:47 PM, John Naylor wrote:
> On 11/7/18, Jesper Pedersen <jesper.pedersen@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> While looking at [1] (included in 23315.log) there are other warnings as
>> well.
>
> Perhaps it's worth revisiting to make debugging easier, but right now
> initdb.c has this comment:
>
>  * Note:
>  *     The program has some memory leakage - it isn't worth cleaning it up.

Maybe. I certainly don't think it's not worth the time merely for the
sake of fixing the memory leaks. The reasoning here is that initdb runs
for a short period of time (a couple of seconds, really), and the memory
gets released when the process exits. And the leaks are tiny in general
- a couple of bytes here and there. Had there been a massive memory leak
that would change the equation of course.

cheers