Re: Installation of Postgres 10.0 and running application with HAwithout postgres user at OS

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Installation of Postgres 10.0 and running application with HAwithout postgres user at OS
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
soumitra bhandary wrote:
> I am using RHEL to install Postgres 10 and setting up replication . But in my OS no postgres user exists .
> Installed it with sudo access . Can I run the postgres DB with all it's utility (like psql, vaccumdb ,
> pg_rewind , initdb etc.) along with Master slave replication, archival process without postgres user.
>
> If it can be done , do I need to follow any extra step to the os user apart from postgres ?
>
> Is there any way to skip postgres os user ?

If you use the RPM packages from the PostgreSQL download page, as I would recommend,
a user "postgres" will be created automatically.

You can of course remove the user again, but you will need a user different
from "root" to run PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL will refuse to start under the "root" user for security reasons.
It is not commendable to run any software as "root" unless absolutely necessary.

Mind you, "postgres" is *not* the owner of the executables (this is not Oracle), but
the owner of the database files and processes.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe