Re: CREATEROLE and role ownership hierarchies

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: CREATEROLE and role ownership hierarchies
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/24/22 15:33, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 4:20 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> Whoah, really?  No, I don't agree with this, it's throwing away the
>> entire concept around inheritance of role rights and how you can have
>> roles which you can get the privileges of by doing a SET ROLE to them
>> but you don't automatically have those rights.
> I see it differently. In my opinion, what that does is make the patch
> actually useful instead of largely a waste of time. If you are a
> service provider, you want to give your customers a super-user-like
> experience without actually making them superuser. You don't want to
> actually make them superuser, because then they could do things like
> change archive_command or install plperlu and shell out to the OS
> account, which you don't want. But you do want them to be able to
> administer objects within the database just as a superuser could. And
> a superuser has privileges over objects they own and objects belonging
> to other users automatically, without needing to SET ROLE.

+many

I encountered such issues on a cloud provider several years ago, and
blogged about the difficulties, which would have been solved very nicely
and cleanly by this proposal. It was when I understood properly how this
proposal worked, precisely as Robert states, that I became more
enthusiastic about it.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig
Сообщение: Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig