Re: Switch to Linux Dev Questions

От Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Тема Re: Switch to Linux Dev Questions
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On 5/6/06, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com <operationsengineer1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi all,
Hello again!

> why do i have to su to root before i su to postgres
> (in order to run psql)?  i tried to su from my
> username and it asked for a password and said
> authentication failed - there is no password.
For security reasons service-accounts are commonly
password-less, and the account disabled.  Usually one
achieves that with a
passwd -l <account>
That way only root is able to switch to that user if
it is (for some reason) required.

> i su to root and su to postgres and i my bash [i don't
> know what it is called] looks like this...
>
> sh-3.1$
>
> what does that mean?  i was expecting something like
> postgres$.
That means that the bash you're running is not a login-shell.
Try "su - postgres" instead of "su postgres"

> i ran psql and all seems right now, but i thought this
> was not a very intuitive way to get to this point.

> also, i tried help in psql and when i got to the end,
> i was stuck.  there was no intuitive way to get out.
> i just saw END with no way to do anything - i closed
> the session and started again.
\q ... it may not be "intuitive", but it's well-documented.

> what can i do to avoid closing the session next time?
See above :}

> tia...
Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.

Сообщение: 1st Linux Attempt -> I'm Discombobulated...
От: Brendan Duddridge
Сообщение: Re: 1st Linux Attempt -> I'm Discombobulated...