Re: Switch to Linux Dev Questions

От
Тема Re: Switch to Linux Dev Questions
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
> On 5/6/06, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com
> <operationsengineer1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > hi all,
> Hello again!
>

> > why do i have to su to root before i su to
> postgres
> > (in order to run psql)?  i tried to su from my
> > username and it asked for a password and said
> > authentication failed - there is no password.
> For security reasons service-accounts are commonly
> password-less, and the account disabled.  Usually
> one
> achieves that with a
> passwd -l <account>
> That way only root is able to switch to that user if
> it is (for some reason) required.
>

> > i su to root and su to postgres and i my bash [i
> don't
> > know what it is called] looks like this...
> >
> > sh-3.1$
> >
> > what does that mean?  i was expecting something
> like
> > postgres$.
> That means that the bash you're running is not a
> login-shell.
> Try "su - postgres" instead of "su postgres"

thanks for the explanations.  it makes sense now.  no
password means one must login from root to protect the
account.

> > i ran psql and all seems right now, but i thought
> this
> > was not a very intuitive way to get to this point.
>
> > also, i tried help in psql and when i got to the
> end,
> > i was stuck.  there was no intuitive way to get
> out.
> > i just saw END with no way to do anything - i
> closed
> > the session and started again.
> \q ... it may not be "intuitive", but it's
> well-documented.

actually, it wouldn't let me type anything.  i believe
i tried \q b/c i am aware of it, but nothign would
type over the END that was displayed on the shell.

if it happens again, i will type \q and see if i just
missed it last time.

thanks.