Re: BUG #15668: Server crash in transformPartitionRangeBounds

Hi,

On 2019/03/06 17:27, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 04:00:42PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
>> Thanks for looking at this.  Your patch seems better, because it allows us
>> to keep the error message consistent with the message one would get with
>> list-partitioned syntax.
>
> Thanks for confirming.  I think that it would be nice as well to add
> more test coverage for such error patterns with all the strategies.
> It would be good to fix that first, so I can take care of that.

I've added some tests to your patch.  Also improved the comments a bit.

I noticed another issue with the code -- it's using strcmp() to compare
specified string against "minvalue" and "maxvalue", which causes the
following silly error:

create table q2 partition of q for values from ("MINVALUE") to (maxvalue);
ERROR:  column "MINVALUE" does not exist
LINE 1: create table q2 partition of q for values from ("MINVALUE") ...

It should be using pg_strncasecmp().

> Now I don't really find the error "missing FROM-clause entry for
> table" quite convincing when this is applied to a partition bound when
> using a column defined in the relation.  Adding more error classes in
> the set of CRERR_NO_RTE would be perhaps nice, still I am not sure how
> elegant it could be made when looking at expressions for partition
> bounds.

Note that this is not just a problem for partition bounds.  You can see it
with default expressions too.

create table foo (a int default (aa.a));
ERROR:  missing FROM-clause entry for table "aa"
LINE 1: create table foo (a int default (aa.a));

create table foo (a int default (a.a.aa.a.a.a.a.aa));
ERROR:  improper qualified name (too many dotted names): a.a.aa.a.a.a.a.aa
LINE 1: create table foo (a int default (a.a.aa.a.a.a.a.aa));

We could make the error message more meaningful depending on the context,
but maybe it'd better be pursue it as a separate project.

Thanks,
Amit

Вложения