Re: Primary Key Problems

От steve boyle
Тема Re: Primary Key Problems
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Tony / Phil,

my 2c on the Primary Key definition / usage.  If you have any SQL / DDL code
that disagrees with the definitions below could you please repost them.

> > Here is a good one.  I have three fields set for my primary key.  Now I
> > thought that a primary key was unique, and dups can not be inserted.
> >

> I don't think primary keys per se are unique, but rather can be made
> unique by specifying that option. IIRC primary keys just allow you to
> index searches within the database. So to make a unique primary key
> from your db schema:

The definition of a primary key was that it WAS a unique identifier for the
table

Definition: The primary key of a relational table uniquely identifies each
record in the table.  It can either be a normal attribute that is guaranteed
to be unique (such as Social Security Number in a table with no more than
one record per person) or it can be generated by the DBMS (such as a
globally unique identifier, or GUID, in Microsoft SQL Server).

Ref: http://databases.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-primarykey.htm

Also

PRIMARY KEY

This column is a primary key, which implies that uniqueness is enforced by
the system and that other tables may rely on this column as a unique
identifier for rows. See PRIMARY KEY for more information.

AND

The PRIMARY KEY column constraint specifies that a column of a table may
contain only unique (non-duplicate), non-NULL values. The definition of the
specified column does not have to include an explicit NOT NULL constraint to
be included in a PRIMARY KEY constraint.

Ref:

http://www.ninthwonder.com/info/postgres/user/sql-createtable.htm

Regards

sb