Re: what is the impact of Database size on Performemce

От Erland Sommarskog
Тема Re: what is the impact of Database size on Performemce
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Avner (avnera@cvdo.com) writes:
> I need some information to understand what is the impact of Database
> size on the performemce.
>
> Few questions :
>
> 1. Is there any impact?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends whether you query the large table, and not the
least how you query them, and what indexes you have. As a matter of fact,
for the same amount of information, a database A twice as big as database
B, could give better performance for retrieving a certain subset of
that information, because in A data has been stored redudantly, maybe
preaggregated.

For instance, say that you have a transactions table for bank accounts,
and you need to be able to retrieve the balance on a certain date. Saving
the standings for each day is going to take up a lot of space, but
it will be much faster to retrieve the historic balance, than adding
up all transactions.

> 2. Does one very large table impact the performence of the the whole DB,
> meaning the overall performence and access the other tables.

If the table just sits there, no. However, it will have an impact on
backup operations.

> 3. What are the ways to reduce the impact of the DB size  on the DB
> performence

Good indexing is of course essential.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, sommar@algonet.se