Re: what is the impact of Database size on Performemce

От HumanJHawkins
Тема Re: what is the impact of Database size on Performemce
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Avner" <avnera@cvdo.com> wrote in message
> I need some information to understand what is the impact of Database size
on
> the performemce.

<CUT>
> 1. Is there any impact?

In queries that make use of the data, yes.

> 2. Does one very large table impact the performence of the the whole DB,
> meaning the overall performence and access the other tables.

Essentially no.

> 3. What are the ways to reduce the impact of the DB size  on the DB
> performence

DB size is so low on the radar of performance issues, that I think it is
basically worth ignoring. If your database is so big that it fills the drive
it is on, that could slow the whole system down as the page file has to get
chunked up. But for all reasonable scenereos, you are much better off
focusing on reducing the number of calls that are required to get work done,
and improving the efficiency of your functions and procedures.

Cheers!