Re: Sourceforge moving to DB2

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: Sourceforge moving to DB2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Tommi Maekitalo wrote:

> The other side is responsiblity. If you choose DB2 IBM is responsable for it.
> What if some day your data get corrupted? IBM will help you (for money of
> course, but they must).

Sorry, but this is not the case. A few years back, a co-worker
discovered that his backup software had been writing corrupted data
to the second and subsequent tapes of every multivolume backup.
Unfortunately for him, he discovered that only when he'd lost some data
that he needed to restore. The vendor (a major backup software vendor
in the 90s, whose name I shan't mention to protect the guilty) said,
"Oh, yes, there's a bug in that version, upgrade to this one." But they
didn't do anything to help him get his lost data back. Basically, he was
f**ked, even though the problem was demonstrably the vendor's fault and
he had a support contract.

So no, sorry to say, vendors are generally not responsible for the
problems they cause, unless it's convenient for them to fix them. They
are, however, good for putting lots of 1st and 2nd line "technical
support" people between you and the folks who can solve your problems.

cjs